dunk n : a basketball shot in which the basketball is propelled downward into the basket [syn: dunk shot, stuff shot]
1 immerse briefly into a liquid so as to wet, coat, or saturate; "dip the garment into the cleaning solution"; "dip the brush into the paint" [syn: dip, souse, plunge, douse]
2 make a dunk shot, in basketball; "He dunked the ball"
3 dip into a liquid while eating; "She dunked the piece of bread in the sauce" [syn: dip]
- Rhymes: -ʌŋk
- To submerge briefly in a liquid.
- I like to dunk my donut in my coffee.
- To set down carelessly.
- Parents shouldn't just dunk their kids in front of the TV.
- (also intransitive) To put the ball directly downward through
the hoop while grabbing onto the rom with power.
- The center spun quickly and dunked the ball with authority.
- The act of dunking, particularly in basketball.
- The point guard threaded a pass with pinpoint precision to the power forward for an easy dunk.
Dunk is a term originating in the United States of America which can mean many things:
- dunk (biscuit), dipping of food into a beverage
- dunking, a form of water torture
- dunk refers to a highly customized 70's era chevy, popularized by rapper Trick Daddy, as in "Dunk Rider"
- Dunk (footwear), originally a basketball shoe produced by Nike Inc.
- Dunk (band), a 1990s Canadian band from Niagara Falls, Ontario
- Dunk (elephant), the first elephant to reside at the National Zoo